New Dominion Bookshop is currently open for in-store browsing, local delivery, and curbside pickup. Here’s how you can help support the shop:
• We are encouraging book orders over email. Our main email address for all book orders and other inquiries is staff[at]ndbookshop[dot]com. You can also use our contact form here on our website. One of the best ways to support the shop is by buying books we already have in stock. If we don’t have the book(s) you are looking for, we are happy to see if we can order them from our warehouse for you, though it will take longer to receive your books.
• Another one of the best ways to support the shop is by calling to buy a gift card, which we can mail directly to you. We can make gift cards in any amount.
• We are also offering book care packages, which you can enjoy yourself or send as a gift to friends or family. Select an approximate dollar amount and a theme, and we will tailor a care package for you. This allows us to sell from the strong collections we have in stock and gets books into your hands much more quickly. We are able to put together care packages for $50, $100, $200, or any amount you would like. For care packages, we recommend calling the shop at 434-295-2552, and one of our booksellers will help you select the perfect books.
• We are currently taking pre-orders for books that have not yet been released, including signed and inscribed copies of John Grisham’s new novel, Sooley, out April 27.
New Dominion is currently open for in-store browsing during business hours (current hours are available at the bottom of the page). Here are our guidelines for in-store browsing:
• We are allowing up to five customers in the shop at a time.
• Please call the shop at 434-295-2552 or knock when you are outside the shop. If there are already five customers in the shop, we ask that you wait at the door or come back later.
• Masks required.
• We will have complimentary hand sanitizer and gloves available at the door.
• If you would prefer to shop with a browsing basket, we would be happy to provide one.
• Please maintain a 6′ social distance whenever possible.
• Please be respectful of the time if there are others waiting to come in.
We are offering curbside pickup during business hours. If you choose pickup, we will let you know when your books are ready for you to pick them up. Once your order is ready, there is no need to schedule a specific day or time for curbside pickup—simply pull up to one of the Downtown Mall’s designated curbside pickup spots on 4th Street (or along the outside edge of the mall if no spots are available) during business hours, and call the shop at 434-295-2552. One of our booksellers will then bring your books out to you. You are also welcome to do a pickup at the door.
Local Delivery and Shipping
If you live within a five-mile radius of the shop, we can deliver books to your doorstep for free. We are also able to deliver to businesses/offices within the five-mile radius if that is more convenient for you. If you live out of the area, we are able to ship books directly to you or a loved one through our normal shipping procedures. Please let us know at the time of your order if you would like your books to be shipped. We charge a $5 handling fee and the shipping rate varies by geographical location. We are only able to ship to addresses within the US at this time.
We are first and foremost a community bookstore, and we are so grateful for you, our loyal customers. Thank you for supporting our shop during this time! Please see below for answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.
What books do you carry? Do you have an online inventory I can browse?
We currently have about 20,000 books in stock in the shop and can order almost any book in print. We do not currently have an online inventory system, but we would be happy to check our inventory for you. To check to see if we have a certain title in stock, please email us or give us a call. We only stock new (not used) books.
I want something great to read as soon as possible! What should I do?
Please consider emailing or calling the shop to ask what we have in stock on a certain topic or by a certain author. We are happy to hold books for you; you may pick them up curbside or use our free home delivery service within a five-mile radius of the shop. We are also now offering in-store browsing during shop business hours (see above for details).
How can I pay for my books if I order over the phone or over email?
We take all major credit cards and will take your payment information over the phone. When you are purchasing books already in stock, we will call you to collect your payment information after we have confirmed your hold. When you are purchasing books that we need to order, we will collect your payment information when we call to let you know that your books have arrived. The only time when we require payment upfront is when you are pre-ordering signed and inscribed copies of books (such as books by John Grisham).
My children are home from school and are learning virtually. Do you carry activity books, nonfiction books that fit school curriculum, puzzles, and other educational supplies?
Absolutely! We can design a care package for your child based on their age and interests. We have a wide variety of diverse educational materials for all ages. Please email us with your child’s age and interests, and we will put together an educational package based on their needs.
I want to support the shop but don’t feel like I’m in a place where I can spend money right now. Is there anything else I can do?
Aside from doing your part to help keep our community healthy, you can help us spread the word about the importance of supporting local business right now. Please encourage your local friends to support the shop. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Finally, we want to hear from you in this time of social distancing—it’s how we can stay connected as a community. Send us pictures of you reading your favorite New Dominion Bookshop books, and we will share our favorites over social media.